Monday, October 1, 2012

Road Trip #1: Tulane Food Review

Before jumping into the fun that was New Orleans and the Tulane game, I want to tell you about the food. Of course, this is New Orleans and we all know they have some good food. But you might not have tried this yummy place.

Friday night after Charlie and I checked into our hotel we out for a night on the town, including dinner. We didn't have reservations and we didn't want one the regular favorites like Acme Oyster House. The best thing about New Orleans Bourbon St/French Quarter area is if you're hungry but places have a long wait, just keep walking you'll find something. That's what happened when we stumbled upon Le Bayou. There was still a wait, but if willing to eat at the bar we could be immediately sat; and so we did.



We started out with fried boudin balls; which were yummy. If you haven't had boudin [pronounced: \bü-ˈdan, -ˈdaⁿ\], not fried, I highly recommend it. This is the technical definition; to me it is delicious combination of rice, pork, and creole seasoning put in a sausage casing then grilled--did I say delicious?

For entrees, Charlie had raw oysters and had the crawfish stuffed catfish. In Louisiana you can never go wrong when raw oysters are on the menu.

 
 
For the catfish, I have to admit it's been a long time since I have completely cleared a full-sized entree at a restaurant. After a bite, this dish didn't stand a chance. The catfish was baked with a crawfish stuffing and topped with a creole cream sauce.
 


I wish you could taste this picture. When it's a party of 3 or less I recommend sitting at the bar of any restaurant. The bartender aka waiter is always there and they're usually nice enough to even take a picture for you.


Other exciting food moments in NOLA:
-->At the game the jambalaya in the Superdome was fantastic.
-->Afternoon snack at Pier 424, oysters and a side of grits. Literally the best grits I have ever eaten.

I'll be the first to say that I am not as good as Trey when it comes to food review. I love tastey food and I appreciate good service but I'm not a good critic postive or negative. Originally, I had not planned to say much about our roadtrip cuisine, but after experiencing such tastey things, I had to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment